Mel Brooks is one of the greatest comedic filmmakers of all time, having made many classic comedies, most of which spoofed a particular film or genre. From The Producers to Young Frankenstein to Spaceballs, Brooks has left an incredible legacy in the worlds of comedy and cinema. June 28th marks Brooks’ 90th birthday, and what better way to honor him than with an entire blogathon dedicated to his films.
Here are my guidelines for this blogathon:
- For the purposes of this blogathon, let’s keep the focus mainly on reviews of feature films directed by Brooks for the big screen (I will make an exception for anyone who wants to submit a post on the To Be Or Not To Be remake he produced and starred in). These must also be brand new posts (no recycling of old posts).
- If you would like to suggest a film-related topic, however, involving Mel Brooks (for example: a comparison of two of his films and how they’re similar, a commentary on the genres he spoofed, etc.), you may submit it in the comments section below (if it’s blogathon-worthy, I’ll approve it).
- Since Brooks only directed 11 films, two duplicates per title will be allowed (except for The Twelve Chairs, which I will be covering; one other blogger will be allowed to pick this title). If you’re having difficulty in choosing a film, please check here.
- To submit your choice, please include your name, the name of your blog, your blog URL, and your choice in the comments section below. I will update this post as often as possible with the latest roster additions.
- Once your submission is confirmed, please choose one of the banners below and use it on your blog to promote this event. Don’t forget to spread the word to your fellow bloggers as well as on Twitter, Facebook, etc. (use the hashtag #MelBrooksBlogathon; it would be most appreciated).
The blogathon will take place from Tuesday Jun. 28th through Thursday Jun. 30th. You can post your entry on your blog on any of those days (or slightly ahead of time if you wish). Just let me know by posting a link below in the comments section and I will post a blogathon update for each day (and for those of you on Twitter, I will retweet your blogathon post tweets).
I hope I’ve covered everything, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Otherwise, have fun and I look forward to reading your posts!
The Mel Brooks Blogathon Roster:
The Cinematic Frontier: The Twelve Chairs & Spaceballs
www.seanmunger.com: High Anxiety
Movie Movie Blog Blog: Silent Movie
Carly Hearts Movies: Blazing Saddles
The Midnite Drive-In: Blazing Saddles
Moon In Gemini: The Producers (1967)
Defiant Success: Young Frankenstein
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies: Robin Hood: Men In Tights
Outspoken and Freckled: Mel Brooks Career Overview
Critica Retro: History of the World Part 1
B Noir Detour: High Anxiety
Pop Culture Reverie: The Producers (1967)
Life vs Film: Young Frankenstein
Snarkmaiden: The Twelve Chairs
Movierob: Life Stinks, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, & Dracula: Dead and Loving It